Friday, March 23, 2012

National Geographic Field Test from the Wakhan corridor - extra dispatch 1

Last summer, while finishing a commissioned book project across the US, I got a appointment at National Geographic Magazine in Washington, showing my images and proposing a story. 6 months later, in January / February 2011, I left for 5 weeks, on assignment for the magazine. I went to Afghanistan, to the Wakhan corridor and the Pamir mountains, to shoot a winter story on the Afghan Kyrgyz,  a community I have followed on and off for over 10 years. Some of my previous work can be seen on my website here.

I shared some of my personal journals with my editor, and following this, the team asked me if I would like to file reports, from the fields, of my expedition. These would go live on the Field Test page of the National geographic website - a page dedicated to go behind-the-scenes of a National Geographic magazine article. A great, responsive team, headed by Susan Welchman, edited my work before it went up.

I left with quite a bit of technical equipment - I wasn't use to that and had to learn quickly . Apart from all the camera gear (and back-up), I was going with solar panels, batteries, a BGAN to send e-mails, boom pole etc. All this went on the back of 3 sturdy yaks and up the frozen Wakhan river. I was on my own but for the first time out there, I was linked to the outside world. I had gone a long way from my 300km trek through the Wakhan with donkey, on a Postman mission with 1 manual camera and some rolls of film - that was back in summer 2005.


 From smoked in frozen shepherd places at 4200m, exhausted after long days of work, I filed 10 different reports. 6 of them made it up, you can see the first one here - the ones that were really centered on the story. The 4 extras I wanted to share with you.

So this is the first one in a series of 4, unedited - using previously published images from the NGM website:


"Jogging at 4200m"

Another day at Er Ali Boi, father of a 6 days old son. His older daughter feeds the weak lamb twice a day. They are keeping him inside the house for warmth.


It hasn’t yet snowed like I hoped and we mostly have had blue days – but bitter cold with that constant east wind (all the Kyrgyz winter mud houses show their back to the easterly wind). My trekking watch shows -25 in the morning. Ikhbal, our 20 year old bride (see this National Geographic dispatch) is almost ready to move to her husband – wearing a sort of Burka to keep the privilege of her sight for her future husband, a small group take her on horse – I get a chance to test for the second time a long pole on top of which my camera is fixed – getting me fairly quick aerial view. It’s completely hectic – the horses are going at a good trot and our “action team” - my two Wakhi friends Malang and Mir Ali - struggle to keep up with our donkey. I am panting, my heart out of my chest, two of my ribs hurt, I have been plagued by high altitude cough for about 10 days now. I fit better with my surrounding that way – all the Kyrgyz are constantly coughing.

We arrive in the campment of Andemin where the sister of the bride live – here we will spend a day break before heading off again, tagging along the wedding troupe. An old Kyrgyz come and greet me with a wonderful smile and a deep tenor voice. He seems so happy to see me. His name is Abdul Hameed and he was one of the first Kyrgyz I ever met in Misgar valley of Pakistan in, probably, the year 2000. He knows my name and quote my words from over 11 years ago, ask about my wife, about my companions of previous trips etc. What a warm hearted man. “Hey, we are brothers, don’t forget – when you come back here I will have a present ready for your new son” he tells me.


I am always in search of breaking away from sitting around for tea with the men (the main winter activity). Whenever I see someone move, I try to join in. Ismail is leaving on horse to gather the yaks .  After 30 minutes we arrive near the herd and a sheep has just given birth. The lamb lay wet on the ground . I get on a horse and help Ismail rounding up the herd, really feeling like the central Asian cowboy that I am not.
Back in Andemin, I stuck to a corner watching the women – not an easy task – every men entering ask me to please sit at the place of honor, by the fire. Actually, women ask me to do it as well. Anyway, who could be interested in watching women’s work? Toorkhan Bubu is sewing a new shirt for the bride.  I join her outside when the sheep herd comes back – bringing happy lambs to their mothers. The men bring the horse back . The light is almost out – my favorite light for 5 minutes. 


Men have killed a fat sheep - in the cooking yurt, they take it apart, the women cleaning the inner, the goat head – the piece de resistance - roasting on the dung fire. Follows a succession of extremely fatty meat dish – yak meat and goat meat - from one house to another (fortunately there are only 4 houses in this encampment) – it’s a constant “Kutchurup Kelde!”: “Come to eat at my house”. I eat the goat eye, not refusing the dish of honor. I have taken a liking to the soft texture, keeping my mind busy to try and forget what it really is… Between two sessions, I photograph our house and the endless starlit sky – what a spectacle.


In the morning – it’s time to eliminate calories. We are back at the jogging being the bride for the last stretch to the husband’s house. It’s “only” 1 ½ hour away. Shortly before reaching it, the bride and her bride’s maid descend their horse, incline themselves while all the women of the husband’s encampment approach in the distance. They offer some yogurt to their “new” sister and hurry the bride inside a yurt, hiding her behind a large red veil that hangs in the corner.  We spend a night here – I must feed yet on another goat eye. In the morning, the brother in law comes to inquire and in keeping with Kyrgyz tradition (which I am learning along the way…) is getting troubled by the sisters of the bride – a rare display of playful fight, in a society which extremely rarely shows any display of affection, anger or else... Then we are off to Qyzyl Qorum, the “seat” of the current young Khan whose father I knew well and met in 2005 – he died in 2009… let’s see how things are going on out there.



Here in French, en français:

Jogging à 4200m

Il a commencé à neiger légèrement. Très tard dans la nuit j'écris un peu dans la fumerie d'opium de notre hôte Haji Roshan Khan, Qyzyl Qorum. Après 3 semaines dans le Pamir Afghan, tout l'équipement s'est déglingué – les choses s'arrêtent de marcher sans aucune raison, le fusible explose une fois de plus, le chargeur ne charge pas, les générateurs ne démarrent pas… –  je deviens électricien entre les prises de photos.

Va savoir pourquoi, aujourd'hui notre convertisseur semble me donner 220V avec la batterie de la voiture de notre hôte kirghize – bonne nouvelle… Au cours des derniers jours, j'ai préservé ma batterie d'ordinateur pour télécharger les photos et pour la sauvegarde. Retour en arrière : une autre journée chez Er Ali Boi, père d'un fils âgé de 6 jours. Sa fille aînée nourrit un agneau malade deux fois par jour. Ils l'ont gardé à l'intérieur de la maison pour la chaleur. Il n'a pas encore neigé comme je l'espérais, et nous avons surtout eu des jours ensoleillés – mais il fait extrêmement froid avec ce vent d'est constant (toutes les maisons d'hiver kirghizes faites de torchis tournent le dos au vent d'est).

Ikhbal, notre jeune mariée de 20 ans est presque prête à rejoindre son mari – portant une sorte de Burka pour garder le privilège de sa vue à son futur mari. Un petit groupe l'emmène à cheval – j'ai la chance de tester pour la deuxième fois une longue perche téléscopique au sommet de laquelle est fixé mon appareil-photo– me donnant une vue aérienne assez rapide. Les chevaux vont d'un bon trot et notre "équipe de choc" lutte pour suivre avec notre âne. Je n'arrive plus a réspirer, mon cœur sors de ma poitrine, deux de mes côtes me font mal, j'ai été tourmenté par la toux de haute altitude depuis une dizaine de jours. Je corresponds mieux à mon entourage de cette façon – tous les Kirghizes toussent constamment. Le beau- frère s'arrête pour prendre une photo avec son petit portable – bien sûr, il n'y a aucune réception téléphonique, mais depuis un an les kirghizes ont des téléphones qu'ils utilisent pour prendre des photos et écouter des mélodies afghanes hurlantes. Grand contraste.

Nous arrivons au campement d'Andemin où vit la sœur de la mariée – ici nous ferons une journée de pause avant de partir une fois de plus, en suivant le groupe du mariage. Un vieux kirghize arrive et m'accueille avec un merveilleux sourire et une voix de ténor profond. Il semble tellement heureux de me voir. Son nom est Abdul Hameed et il fut un des premiers kirghizes que j'avais rencontré dans la vallée de la Misgar au Pakistan, probablement en 2000. Il connaît mon nom et cite mes mots d'il y a plus de 11 ans, me questionne sur mon épouse, sur mes compagnons de voyages antérieurs etc... Quel homme merveilleux. « Hey, nous sommes frères, ne l'oublies pas – quand tu repasseras ici j'aurai un cadeau prêt pour votre nouveau fils » m'a t'il dit. Nous dormons sur le plancher (il n'y a pas de lits dans le Pamir Afghan) de la maison de Sher Ali – qui prend amoureusement soin de son grand-fils.

Je cherche toujours à éviter d'être assis pendant des heurs pour boire le thé avec les hommes (l'activité principale d'hiver). Quand je vois quelqu'un bouger, j;essaie de me joindre: Ismail part à cheval afin de rassembler les yacks. Après 30 minutes, nous arrivons près du troupeau et un mouton vient juste de mettre bas. L'agneau humide est étendu sur le sol. Je monte sur le cheval et aide Ismail à rassembler le troupeau, me sentant comme un cow-boy d'Asie Centrale que je ne suis pas! De retour au campement d'Andemin, je me mets dans un coin en regardant les femmes – pas une tâche facile – tous les hommes qui entrent me demandent de bien vouloir passer à la place d'honneur, près du feu. En fait, les femmes me demandent de le faire aussi. De toute façon, qui pourrait bien être intéressé à regarder le travail des femmes ?

Toorkhan Bubu est en train de coudre une nouvelle chemise pour la mariée. Je prends un portrait « classique » – elle a un très joli visage. Je la rejoins à l'extérieur lorsque revient le troupeau de moutons– apportant des agneaux heureux à leurs mères. Les hommes ramènent le cheval. Il n'y a presque plus de lumière – ma lumière préférée pendant 5 minutes – les 2 sœurs marchent au loin pour mettre la main sur un âne égaré. Les hommes ont tué un mouton gras - il le prépare dans la yourte. Les femmes nettoient les intérieurs. Un homme fait rôtir la tête de chèvre – la pièce de résistance - sur le feu de bouse. Suit une succession de plat de viande extrêmement gras – viande de yak et viande de chèvre – d'une maison à l'autre (heureusement il n'y a que 4 maisons dans ce campement) – c'est une constante « Kutchurup Kelde! »: « Viens manger chez moi ». Je mange l'œil de chèvre, ne refusant pas le plat de l'honneur. J'ai pris goût à sa texture douce, gardant mon esprit occupé à essayer d'oublier ce que c'est vraiment … Entre deux séances, je photographie notre maison et le ciel étoilé sans fin – quel spectacle …

Le matin – il est temps d'éliminer les calories. Nous sommes de nouveau la à courir derrière notre équipée chevaline. La fiancée approche de la maison du mari. C'est « seulement » à 1½ heure. Peu de temps avant d'y arriver, la mariée et sa demoiselle d'honneur descendent de leur cheval, s'inclinent tandis que toutes les femmes du campement du mari s'approchent. Elles offrent du yoghourt à leur "nouvelle" sœur et mettent la mariée à l'intérieur d'une yourte, la cachant derrière un grand voile rouge qui pend dans le "coin". Nous passons une nuit ici – je dois manger encore un autre œil de chèvre. Le matin, le beau-frère vient se renseigner et selon la tradition kirghize (que j'apprends à connaitre tout au long du chemin) il est constamment taquiné par les sœurs de la mariée – un occasion rare de voir des interactions homme/ femme, dans une société qui montre très rarement tout signe d'affection, de colère ou autre... Puis nous partons vers Qyzyl Qorum, le « siège » du jeune Khan actuel dont je connaissais bien le père et l'ai rencontré en 2005 et 2008 – il est décédé en Décembre 2009… Nous allons voir comment ça se passe là-bas.


 La jeune mariée pleure... Cérémonie du voile blanc. Fevrier 2012. All images ©Matthieu Paley

No comments: